Friday, July 10, 2009

Thoughts on Irresistible Grace

God is presented by most modern Christians in one of two ways: weak and needy or unloving and neglectful.
Many believe God cannot save a sinner without his or her consent. Is God wringing His hands awaiting the sinner’s response, passively wishing His creation would come to Him, lest the Almighty be heartbroken and frustrated for all eternity?
No, this doctrine would put the Creator in the position of a weak beggar. He is a powerful Savior!
The other view espoused by mainstream Christianity is that God is hateful and negligent to His own children.
Any loving parent with a sick child would insist that he or she take medicine. Naturally, as a child, I resisted medicine when it was given to me. But my mother loved me, and cared enough about me to make me take medicine; she didn’t want to see me sick, and she knew the medicine would help me.
Sadly, most people don’t ascribe the same love to our Heavenly Father that they do to earthly parents; they view God as a neglectful Father.
Those of us fortunate enough to understand the truth of irresistible grace should rejoice that we know that God is neither weak nor negligent, but that He is powerful to save, and that Christ did indeed save His people.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog thru Facebook, and am really glad I did find it. I enjoy reading your blog, as I guess we're probably on the same theological level, or share the same belief, so it is great to find more poitically and religiously like-minded people out there!

    ReplyDelete